Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hunger Games

I am a little late in reading this but wanted to finish the book prior to seeing the  movie. I was very surprised that the book was so good and I enjoyed it, the hype surrounding the book was well deserved. Once I started, I wanted to finish in one setting. I wanted to know what would happen to the characters, which boy she would pick and how they would both come out alive in the end. I was hooked.

The premise requires us to set aside our desire to stand up for ourselves, not question why this is happening and who has allowed it to be such and we must overlook that the characters in the book don't fight back. Parents do not stand up to fight for their child, no one from the Capitol realizes this is wrong or questions why it is done, and everyone lets a group of teenagers fight to the death, yearly. We do get a small glimpse of what happens when you rebel and this is the basis for everyone agreeing to the brutal mentality. You start to really pull for the characters and get attached.

The Hunger Games is a  yearly event where one girl and one boy are picked out of each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol. The book tells the story of those picked and even includes a love triangle.

It is also interesting to note that Suzanne Collins wrote for one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows, Clarissa Explains All.

Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
384 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment