Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gratitude Journal

Sometimes too much reading and research is a bad thing. When it comes to gratitude journals a simple google search will turn up a lot of questions: should you write every day, only a few times a day, how many items should you include, how do you turn your negatives into positives, does writing daily turn gratitude into a habitual thought and your brain leans not to appreciate the good?

I confess, I've abandoned more journals then I have room for. I begin each year with the best intentions but slack off. Mid-year I panic and try to start back up again but never make it a full year. I beat myself up about the lack of progress and always end the year on regret over not completing the process.

This year I am going to make changes. I have my dedicated "journal" but often get derailed, I am going to implement write where you are. I keep a to do list in my Filofax, why can't I just add a gratitude at the top of a page? I am already using it, it is available most days and I continuously look at it. The change seems easy!

What I need to remember:
1.  Add a paragraph, describe the happiness in detailed. Write about the one happy event and capture as many details as possible.

2. Write whenever! Start the day with gratitude. Why does the time dedicated to gratitude have to be in the evenings.

3. There is no wrong way, it just needs to be done.

4. Stop worrying about things I don't have or things that have not happened.



ny times - let us give thanks article from 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment